This is an upcoming field in the IT industry. The companies today have categorized the IT students into different job descriptions. As of today, we are going to talk on how is software testing different from software programming
Software Testing is a method to check whether the actual software product matches expected requirements and to ensure that software product is Defect free. It involves execution of software/system components using manual or automated tools to evaluate one or more properties of interest. The purpose of software testing is to identify errors, gaps or missing requirements in contrast to actual requirements.
Some even say that Software Testing as a White Box and Black Box testing. In simple terms, Software Testing means the verification of application under test (AUT).
Why is SOFTWARE TESTING important?
SOFTWARE TESTING is important because if there are any bugs or errors in the software, it can be identified early and can be solved before delivery of the software product. Properly tested software product ensures reliability, security and high performance which further results in time saving, cost effectiveness and customer satisfaction.
Testing is also important because software bugs cannot be easily resolved also it can be costlier or even dangerous to the rest operating systems. It can also cause monetary and human loss and history is full of such examples.
What are the benefits of learning software testing?
The benefits of learning software testing are as follows:
- Cost Effective: It is one of the important advantages of software testing. Testing any IT project on time helps you to save your money for the long term. In case if the bugs caught in the earlier stage of software testing, it costs less to fix.
- Security: It is most vulnerable and sensitive benefit of software testing. After all we need trusted products. As they are risk free to be used and less problematic.
- Product quality: The basic requirement of any product. Testing ensures to give a good quality delivered to their customers.
- Customer satisfaction: The main aim of any product is to give satisfaction to their customer. UI/ UX Testing ensures the best user experience.
TESTING IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING:
As per the norms of ANSI / IEEE testing in software Engineering is a process of evaluating a software product to find whether the current software product meets the required conditions or not. The testing process involves obtaining the features of the software product for requirements in terms of any missing requirements, bugs or errors, security, reliability and performance.
Types of SOFTWARE TESTING:
The following is classified as follows:
- Functional testing. Unit Testing Integration Testing Smoke UAT (User Acceptance Testing) Localization Globalisation Interoperability so on.
- Non- Functional Testing or performance testing: Performance Endurance load volume scalability usability so on.
- Maintenance: Regression Maintenance.
This is not the complete list as there are more than 150 types of testing types and still adding. Also, note that not all testing types are applicable to all projects but depends on the nature & scope of the project.
Testing patterns in SOFTWARE TESTING:
They are as follows:
- Unit testing: This software testing approach is followed by the programmer to test the unit of the program. It helps developers to know whether the individual unit of the code is working properly or not.
- Integration Testing: It focuses on the construction and design of the software. You need to see that the integrated units are working without errors or not.
- System Testing: In this method, your software is compiled a a whole and then tested as a whole. This testing strategy checks the functionality, security, portability, amongst others.
- Program Testing: It is a method of executing an actual software program with the aim of testing program behavior and finding errors. The software program is also executed with the test case data to analyze the program behavior or response to the test data. A good program testing is one which has high chances of finding bugs.